The issue is backplane communication standards 10G-Base KR, 1G-Base KX are designed to use a minimal amount of Differential pairs (usually 1TX & 1RX = 4 wires) to transfer data between slots. While these backplane standards are useful between VPX slots over very short distances, they are not compatible with standard Commercial Ethernet equipment (based on the RJ45 connector) and using 100M-BaseT/1G-BaseT/10G-BaseT (BaseT) standards where Transformer coupling is used on the output signals. These “BaseT” standards are de-signed for long distance communication (well over 12 inches). The BaseT signaling standards like 1G-BaseT and 10G-BaseT require 8 wires per port and the 3U VPX connector does not support enough signal lines for a large volume of these 8 wire ports.
Dawn’s Customers want more “Ethernet” ports (which usually means they want more 1G-BaseT/10G-BaseT ports) than are available on common VPX 3U cards. The solution is to convert the Backplane standard ports (10G-Base KR, SGMII, KX …etc) to 10G-BaseT / 1G-BaseT Ethernet ports, so they can be linked to other equipment which is more than 12 inches from the source VPX card.
- Convert Backplane SERDES interfaces (KR/KX/SGMII/USXGMII) to 10G/1000/100 BASE-T for External Chassis interface.
- (10GBASE-T/5GBASE-T/2.5GBASE-T/1000BASE-T/100BASE-T) Ethernet PHY transceiver.
- IEEE® 802.3-2012 compliant auto-negotiation.
- High-Performance full KR (with auto-negotiation)/XFI /USXGMII/2500BASE-X/SGMII.
- Configurable as KR or XFI in 10G, 2500BASE-X in 2.5G, and SGMII in 1G/100M, or all rates via USXGMII/KR.
- 10G-Base T operation at 2.7W (Typical for 30 meters of CAT 6 cable).